Monday, June 4, 2007

Presidential candidates to discuss faith, poverty

I'm on the e-mail list for Sojourners Magazine, so I received this notice from Jim Wallis today--he's going to be on CNN tonight with the Democratic presidential candidates talking about faith and politics.
No matter where you stand politically, I think people of faith need to be concerned about poverty--and for too long, many Christians have done too little (myself included). The problems of poverty seem so overwhelming--but I for one am wanting to learn how I can make a difference. Poverty is not a private, individual problem--it hurts us corporately.

Here's the info from Sojourners:

"Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, and Barack Obama join us for a conversation about faith, values, and poverty broadcast live on CNN (7 p.m. Eastern / 4 p.m. Pacific).
And in hundreds of churches and homes across the country, people of faith like you will be gathering to watch the candidates and help us issue a prophetic challenge to put poverty at the top of the political agenda.
It's not too late to join them -- click here to find a watch party in your area.
We're calling the event "Faith Guiding Our Votes," because it will be a unique forum to ask questions not just about issues, but about values. Not just what policies the candidates propose, but why. Not just whether they believe privately, but about how they live out their faith in public life.
Be sure to stay tuned immediately after the forum (8 p.m. Eastern / 5 p.m. Pacific), as I'll be interviewed live on CNN by Paula Zahn to offer my own reaction to the evening's events.
Tonight also marks the launch of our efforts leading up to the 2008 election -- including a similar forum with the Republican candidates we're planning for the fall -- and the launch of our campaign to Vote Out Poverty, challenging candidates from both political parties to go on the record with specific plans for overcoming poverty at home and abroad.
I'm looking forward to it, and I hope you'll tune in."

So, I'd be interested in hearing from those of you who watch. Or those of you who decide not to--tell me why.

No comments: