Friday, October 5, 2007

Reader mail

First, I need to apologize for neglecting this blog. I'm working on a book, and my speaking schedule always revs up a bit in the fall.
One such speaking gig was at the MOPS International Convention in Orlando. I taught a workshop there last month. MOPS, you'll recall, sent out a copy of my book Breathe to all of its 110,000 members last May. So all 4400 women at this convention had received a copy--I don't know if they read it. But a number of them had, apparently. Several of them spoke to me during the weekend, and told me, "Your book changed my life."
You know, I have never written a best seller. My income from writing is small. Really. And I am often discouraged by that. But hearing from those readers was, to me, assurance that I am doing what God has called me to do.
This week, just when I really needed some encouragement, I received this e-mail from Darcy, a reader in Connecticut:

“Keri, my husband and I read your book "Breathe: Creating Space for God in a Hectic Life" early this summer while enjoying "down time" with our five-year-old son and two-year-old daughter. We are changed because of it and have entered the first of our numerous school years with NOTHING on the calendar, except for MOPS 2x month.
We believe we are creating space for God to tap us on the shoulder and tell us where to spend our time and energy. We will add activities slowly and prayerfully, but have been so impressed by your words, that we have changed our lifestyle. Thank you for being so bold!”
It’s gratifying to hear that my book has had an impact, and even more gratifying that readers “get it”—that the purpose of clearing your schedule is not just so you can do nothing, but so that you're available to hear God's call and have the time and energy to respond to it. To make concrete changes that say no to a hectic life, so that you can say yes to God, who is ultimately the only one who really changes our lives.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

Keep doing what you're doing. I'm reading Listen again. Have already given it to one person who said they're planning to give several copies away, and I'm planning to purchase copies for my mom and sister as well. Good stuff, keep it coming.

Anonymous said...

I loved Breathe, and while I haven't been able to whittle my commitments down to only two, we do guard our Sunday afternoons, something that is new to our family. So far, all we've managed to do is sleep!! I guess we need it, when a family of five sleeps for two hours during the day!! Thank you for listening and speaking forth!

Keri Wyatt Kent said...

Anonymous, i love that you're taking this one step at a time. And getting everyone to nap is huge. it's supposed to be a day of rest, sometimes it doesn't have to be any more complicated than just resting!
And Dianne, thanks as always for your encouragement! And for the poem!

Keri Wyatt Kent said...

For those of you who would like to see the poem from Dianne and more about this topic, you can get this month's newsletter by clicking the link on the right side at the top of the blog.